Featured post

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Modern Day Slavery: From Sales Girl To A Housemaid

Modern Day Slavery
A young girl shared a story of how she suddenly became a housemaid beyond the work description she applied for just to make ends meet.

Though she escaped the bondage, but not without leaving a chaotic situation behind and she wants to know if she was wrong to do what she did.

Here's Her story:
"I remember vividly how I got into that house not as a housemaid but as a salesgirl in her shop.
"Some women! I was indeed desperate for a work because I was in a strange land staying with my best friend just to hustle for myself and family. She never told me I would go from shop to her house for any reason.
"Just in two weeks, she started sending me to the market, after, I will come and cook in her house, feed her four children, her first daughter was then14 years. It became a daily routine.
"I was eventually turned into a house girl, I would sweep and mop every two two days, cook and wash dishes and clothes. I never knew I would be that submissive anyways.
"What got me angry was when she started giving me her husband's boxers to wash as if that wasn't enough, she started keeping her panties and bras for me to wash...after the chores, I will go back to the shop.
"As a Sabbatarian she is, I don't come to work on Saturdays and Sundays. When I come on Monday, you can't believe it, all the clothes and undies they all wore the past days will be waiting for me.
"I tried telling her that women don't leave their undies like that, they wash it during bath immediately.. she hissed and left. It was the children that told me that it has been their father keeping the house neat all those while, she uses her shop to get housemaids.
"She even fought with her last housemaid because the girl refused washing her undies...
"One Monday I washed everything but I kept both her undies and her husband's boxers aside for her.. she got angry and started shouting, she took the bucket of water nearby and poured on me when I tried replying her, just then, her husband came back suddenly, I was surprised as he pounds on her.
"That was the first day he ever touched her, he threw her things away...I couldn't stand the whole drama and ran out of the house. No one was able to settle them as I heard.
Did I do wrong to have refused washing those things? I'm I really the cause of the divorce?
Modern day slavery is described as when someone doesn't have a choice, has no freedom, and doesn't get paid or paid very little. For instance:

  • Bonded Labour
  • Trafficking
  • Forced child labour 
About 29.8 million people are in slavery in the world today. Stop modern day slavery!


No comments: